Are you like me and sometimes spend too much time enjoying the hot sun? Let me tell ya, as a redhead with pale skin, I know the in’s and out’s of sunburned skin. Ugh…let’s just say, I know way too much about sunburned skin (if ya know what I mean).
Tips for Summer Skin
- prevent red skin with a liberal use of sunscreen.
- be sure to always wear a hat and stick to the shade when able.
- if you are unable to avoid the sun, be sure to have this After Sun Lotion within in reach. Keep it in the refrigerator and you will wish you had this remedy your whole life!!!
*This post may contain affiliate links. For my affiliate disclosure, click here.
This easy to make lotion is simply the PERFECT relief for hot red summer skin. It’s simple to make and really helps to soothe and cool your skin. Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, and Essential Oils are blended together to help cool your skin and speed healing of sun-exposed skin. Plus, this mixture smells divine!!
This plant-based oil is naturally healing and great for skin and hair care. It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that are well known and this oil helps to soften and moisturize skin
Ancient Egyptians used to call this “The Plant of Immortality”. It has skin healing properties that are very useful for mild burns. Aloe has been also found to help speed healing by improving circulation.
For this recipe, I like to use Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils. Lavender oil helps to promote healing and is very soothing. Peppermint oil has a wonderful cooling effect that feels magnificent on hot skin.
Soothing After Sun Lotion
- 1/2 CUPCoconut Oil – unrefined, cold pressed
- 1.5 -2 TBS Aloe Vera Gel
- 6 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 4-6 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (Can be added for extra cooling)
- Mix together coconut oil and aloe vera gel. Use 1.5 TBS of aloe vera gel if you prefer a thicker lotion. Use 2TBS if you desire a thinner lotion.
- Whip with a hand-held blender until fluffy
- Add 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- If desired for extra cooling, Add 4-6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Mix with spoon and place in jar
For extra cooling, be sure to store this jar of Sun Soothing Lotion in the refrigerator!!! Remember, Coconut oil is solid when chilled, but this lotion will melt once in contact with your skin.
Now, you’re all set to go enjoy the summer weather!